Ahmed was awarded a B.Sc. in Communications and Electronics Engineering from the University of Cairo. In addition, he has a Pre-Master in Computer Engineering from Cairo University and a M.Sc. in IT from the University of Nottingham.
Gulf Bridge International
Ahmed Mekky is the Chief Executive Officer, co-founder and board member of Gulf Bridge International (GBI). GBI is the Middle East's first privately owned, carrier neutral, regional cable operator. Deploying the latest fiber optic technology, GBI has a comprehensive cable system connecting all the Gulf countries together and providing onward connectivity to Europe, Africa and Asia. Ahmed's vision has driven the project from concept to launch and GBI is a testament to his entrepreneurship, tenacity and technical ability. Ahmed secured investment from around the region and has created an innovative company and business model which challenges the traditional Telco-consortium model. This was a remarkable 'first' by Ahmed. His commitment to driving change in the industry is matched only by his belief that an advanced communications infrastructure can promote and facilitate social and economic growth across the region.
- September 2013 – Global Telecoms Business includes Ahmed Mekky in the 2013 Global Telecoms Business Power 100 list
- May 2013 – appointed as Member of the Egyptian Kuwaiti Council in Egypt
- February 2013 – appointed to the Board of Qatar Academy Sidra
- November 2012 – Pacific Telecommunications Council elects Ahmed Mekky as the first Middle Eastern CEO to their Board of Governors for three year term starting January 2013
- October 2012 – Global Telecoms Business includes Ahmed Mekky in the 2012 Global Telecoms Business Power 100 list
- September 2012 – appointed to the board of the Information Technology Industry Development Agency, ITIDA, which is the executive arm of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, MCIT
- September 2012 – appointed to the board of the Italian Egyptian Business Council which is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization formed to facilitate and develop economic relations between Italy and Egypt
- March 2012 – Pacific Telecommunications Council appoints Ahmed Mekky as the first Middle Eastern CEO to their Board of Governors
- November 2011 – SAMENA Telecommunications Council appoints GBI as the inaugural Subsea Working Group chair, Ahmed Mekky to lead